Thursday, April 14, 2011

Karma and the Laundry Fairies

When I was a kid and my parents would go out and leave my older sister and I home alone, my mother would often say to no one in particular, while looking around in the air, "I wish I had some little fairies that would magically clean up the dishes from the table while I'm gone....'' Which was 'code' for, ''Girls, please clean up the dishes while we are gone.''  We, of course, figured this out eventually by the disappointed face we got when she came home and the dishes were still sitting on the table.  I'm a little slow on the uptake, so I didn't get it for the first few times, but eventually I figured out that I was one of the little fairies she was wishing on.  Even though I eventually knew what she wanted, sometimes I would pretend like I didn't, and poor mom would sigh and do the dishes herself when she got home while we feigned ignorance.

Now I am 34 and have 4 little 'fairies' of my own, but they are too young to get it when I wish aloud, to no one in particular, that I wish some nice little fairies would wash my dishes while I go out.  Either that or they are feigning ignorance like I did. Its only right that the mother's curse hit me in multiple ways right? This is Karma I think. I mean, I've never studied Karma or the religion associated therewith, but I'm pretty sure its a 'what goes around, comes around' sort of thing.

So, now I am convinced that Karma is thwarting my wishes with the laundry fairies. As a kid I notoriously hid dirty laundry under beds, in closets, where ever I could find to stuff it so that my room appeared 'clean'.  Is Karma really a fair thing if it comes back four-fold?? See, I think I could be completely content and happy if there were little laundry fairy elves that would come in the night and wash or repair all of the laundry that we left out the day before. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Hey, do you remember the story of the old man and woman who left leather out on the table over night, and little fairies or elves came and made shoes out of the leather for them? They sold the shoes and got rich because each night the little fairy elves would make more shoes for them? Then the old people lived happily ever after or something.  Anyway, maybe the 'fairy elves' was 'code' for ''They enslaved their children and made them work all night to do the work they didn't want to do.''  This is an 'Aha' moment for me....

If my children appear really tired tomorrow, but they are wearing really clean and fresh smelling clothes, I have NO idea how that happened. It must have been the laundry fairies, come to deliver me from my miserable piles and piles at last.  My kids are too short to reach the washer still, so it couldn't be me enslaving them all night....I swear I don't have a front-loader....

1 comment:

  1. I was a pretty decent kid who helped my mom out often. My kids are not. Where is the karma there? (And I have front loaders.) ((I think if a kid has diarrhea, the least he could do is wash out his own underwear. I don't care if he is three.))

    ReplyDelete