Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pre school...education...

The high school just around the corner from my house has a child development class that opens its doors to real, live, actual three and four year olds for teaching purposes. The high school girls get to practice teaching pre-school aged kids, and learn all sorts of things in their interactions. It is free to anyone who wants to enroll their child, and is about an hour and a half of free time for mom, so I decided to sign the girls up to participate. They get to go to 'school', and I get 90 minutes of quiet time.  Its a win win win all around.

SO, yesterday, I got to pick up two boys that are also enrolled in the class. One of them was The Boy Wonder (previously nicknamed Charisma, but this one fits too...he's like a super hero happy guy, and it sounds more masculine). The other was a new personality that we don't interact with as much. I think we shall call him...The Whirlwind.  He has ample amounts of energy, and hops from one subject to the next...super-fast.  I think all three and four year olds have these attributes, he just seems to pick up momentum as he goes. I love this kid.

Mixing three and four year olds in a group is always a treat. You never know what they will say to surprise you, and they often catch you off guard.  Many times they say things that make you choke on your own spit until you realize that you were clearly thinking like a grown up and that is where you went wrong.  The ride to the school was particularly entertaining as the two boys sat in the second row, closest to my driver's seat.

Whirlwind started off the conversation:  "Whooooaaaaahhh!!! Did you saw dat?? There was a cat out there.  I have a car.  Boy Wonder, did you see the cat?  He was like (motion of what cat was doing). Heeheehee.  I'm going to sit by Boy Wonder at school...Oooh did you saw dat!!??? Holy cow you guys! Did you saw dat car?? It was PINK!"

Boy Wonder: "Haha...yeeeeaaah! It was SUPER pink! You are the cat and I am a super alien bug and I chase you!"

(Insert cat and chasing noises)

Daredevil: "You guys are CRAzeeeeee!"

Boy Wonder: "I am hard! I am Suuuuper hard."

My brain: "???"

Whirlwind: "Hee hee yeeeahhhh!"

Boy Wonder: "I am really super hard!"

Me: "Umm...are you hard like...a...rock?"

Boy Wonder: "No I am a Scorpion....they are really super hard"

My brain: "OOOooooh...okay. whew."
Me: "Heh heh, yes...they are indeed."

Whirlwind:  "I like dolphins. And Sperm Whales....cuz Sperm Whales are really big and make cool sounds like Oooooah! OOoooah."

Boy Wonder:  "Yeah and I like ORkas. Orkas are reeeally cool."

Whirlwind: "Sometimes Killer whales."

Boy Wonder:  "Yeah Orkas are those. They're types of dolphins. And they say Ooorrrr ooooorrr Ooooooor!"

My brain: "Holy crap how do these kids KNOW this stuff?? They are 3!!!"

Whirlwind: "WILD KRATS!"

My brain:  "OOOooooh...okay. whew."  ( For those of you who don't know, Wild Kratz is a nature cartoon where they teach kids about animals. It makes sense that they got their facts from this show.)

Boy Wonder: "I like the Wild Kratz."

Diva: "Boy Wonder is going to sit by me at school....no, Whirlwind is."

Daredevil: "No I am!"

Diva: "No I am!"

Me: "OOooookaayy! We're at school, now everyone wait for me to come and get you out and we will hold hands in the parking lot.

I then walked them to class and got them all checked in and returned to my perfectly quiet car.  It was warm and quiet...so I closed my eyes and did a little giggle. Then I took myself out to lunch and went shopping.  I even had time to read some of my book....and ponder what a great blog entry that trip to pre-school was going to be. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment