Sunday, February 20, 2011

Oh crap...I think I'm a grown up.

So lately I have been reconnecting with people on Facebook, like just about everyone else in the universe, and have recently started joining in this 'blog craze'. I am really enjoying the blog scene...it gives you really good insight into people.  I think people are rather uninhibited while writing on a blog. Its like they can assume a secret identity and type out what they really think and cross their fingers hoping everyone else 'gets it'. Or, maybe that's just what I do. I like to think I keep it real...so I guess I assume everyone else does too.

Recently some of the girls I used to teach as young women have started blogging. Its funny because I was teaching them within the last 5 years, but now they are in college and are full, legal adults. They are typing out their thoughts and insights on life, and some of them are quite enlightened thinkers.  I am impressed with their ability to think critically and really dive into the things that matter most in life.  And I love how candid they are about their worries and concerns.

However, there is one very shallow discovery I made tonight that I'm not sure I will ever recover from.  As I read their blogs, I found myself thinking, ''Oh I remember feeling that way in college...'' or ''Oh if she just sticks it out, this storm will pass...'', or ''I remember how exciting that felt when I was about to do that.'' OH CRAP! I am now the 'mom'-like old person that smiles and says, ''Oh yes! That's exciting honey...I remember when I was your age...'' Only whatever it is I say after that falls on deaf ears because they have to go out and discover it for themselves, and whatever it was that I did in my life is completely useless and obsolete for them because 'that was then'. Oh my canoli...even as I type I am saying things that old people say!

I think I am losing it. I...wait, I can't remember what I made for dinner tonight...oh yeah, I didn't cook dinner. Is that a sign of old age? My grandma doesn't cook anymore...maybe this is how it started.
I think I can't breath...was that my heart pounding just now?? Does anyone know the number for 911?
Crap (edited from the explitive I really wanted to use). I am old. Obsolete. Used up. Totally useless.... Except for those rare occasions when the younger generation decides they need an 'old person fix'.

Sob.

I never even achieved 'cool' like I hoped I would. Now its too late. I am officially a 'grown up' A bonified, boring, and 'know-it-all' grown up. . .

Although I have met some really cool older people. But they don't seem old. Like my Zumba instructor... Who is the epitome of 'cool'. Yeah guess what? She's my age. Yep. Has a 12 year old kid. I'm pretty sure she's actually older than me. . . .but who's counting?

Welp, thats it, I am going to call it a night.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll do something kid-like (perhaps sledding or something) and redeem my spirits from the depths of my own  reality. Then, after I feel rejeuvenated,  I will be saying things like, ''I'm making 40 the new 20!'' And, '' I'll be so cool and sexy that the Zumba instructor will have 'Andi-envy'. ''
Yes..thats my plan.

Wish me luck.

1 comment: