Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sleep Deprivation...and a contest to fix it...with REALLY great prizes...

So, for as long as I can remember, I have had trouble sleeping. I can remember laying awake as a kid...finally I'd get up and lumber out to the kitchen for a drink of water and there was my dad...also awake...watching some mind numbing TV show 'till he was 'tired enough' to go back to sleep. 
His mother is the same way. She is up at like 4am everyday. I can remember going to grandma's house for a visit and if you got up to go potty anytime after 5AM, you came back to a made bed and it was time for breakfast.  She is all of 4 foot 11, but her personality is about 6 foot 7.  Anyway, the sleep thing is definately a family trait. Just the other day I caught my grandma online at 2:30am. Apparently she has a standing bridge game with people across the country at that time. Amazing.
So for 3 or 4 days now I have been up past midnight...then wake up at 2:30 or 3am, then nod off and wake again at 5am...then nod off and wake again at 7 ish to get kids ready for the day. Then when I am home with the 3 year olds I HAVE to close my eyes for 20 or 30 minutes around 9:30am and let Diego take them on an 'animal adventure'.  I've always got one eye open though because last time I did this with both eyes shut they snuck in the kitchen and spread dry rice crispies all over my living room.
So I am thinking I need to structure my day with activity so that I am just wiped out at 9pm.
I am taking submissions for sample day schedules.  I would like each hour marked on said schedule...I think my old companions might be good candidates for this job as they are well versed in the Franklin Covey planning and scheduling that I am best at following.  Plus many if them have kids at home. Anyone is welcome to give me suggestions though. . .I have a hard time coming up with ideas because all my brain can come up with at this point is 'take a nap'...but that is not effective whatsoever as you can see. SO. Game on...what does YOUR day look like? I think the winner....the one with the best 'stay at home mom' day schedule, should get a prize...I will send you your favorite chocolate bar in the mail. Mine is Skor bars. Just in case you were wondering.  Come on thats worth it isnt it?
It's win-win. You do the brain work and planning...I just follow it and send you chocolate. Brilliant.
Ready sets go.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm too lazy to do the hour-by-hour thing (Wendy would do a better job of this), but here's my input: If you could find 20 minutes somewhere (I know that for most of the moms I know, this is tall order) and run, or do something that's exhausting, physically, you might be able to sleep better. Mounds bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drop my kids off at the Piersons. Then I do whatever I want.

    ReplyDelete