Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rainbow Brite vs The Farting Cartoons

So, as I've mentioned before, we have netflix and often download old school shows for the kids to watch.  These 3 year old girls I have here at home like to have something on in the background as they play with the Little Tykes Barnyard and the Sesame Street house. Today it is 'Rainbow Brite'. Okay, I vividly remember Rainbow Brite from my childhood, but mostly I remember the dolls...and the fact that she had a rainbowy horse.  Its like I am watching this cartoon for the first time. Maybe I am....did Rainbow Brite cartoons really get going when I was in Jr High or something? The thing I am noticing that she had some really bad bad-guys. I mean this whimpy little character is beating down Star Wars caliber villains...Giant slimy frog guys, robot aliens, a wicked witchy girl who likes belts. . . I never knew. . .and who is that shiny and bright boy that rides a robot horse? He is very sweet. And he declares how if we all work together we can keep the universe bright and beautiful...I think I believe him...he's believable...
So I think they need to make cartoons like they did in the 80's.  I think they taught us to be courageous. Today's cartoons are like one big fart and belch contest. Its like all the writers are boys now. I think girls must have written the 80's cartoons. Even Transformers....it always had a 'good vs evil' theme and the good guys win...but its serious. No sudden flurbbbing from the buns of a dog to make the kids interested....none of that.  I mean...can transformers even really flatulate? They are robots. Yet I think they managed some of that silly boy humor in the live action movies they recently created.
I wanted to blame this on the feminist movement. Something like, ''All of the women wanted man jobs...like building stuff or digging holes...just to prove they could do it. Then, suddenly the only jobs left were the girly jobs....like writing and entertaining children.  So now that we know that women are clearly better at all jobs, I say bring the women back to the cartoon writing and leave the hole digging to the boys.  Its hard to mess up digging a hole. . . and it won't directly effect our children and how well mannered they are.'' But it turns out the writers for both Rainbow Brite and Transformers were male....HOWEVER, one was French and one was Japanese.  So maybe we need more French and Japanese cartoons.  OOh...I need to look up who wrote He Man and She Ra.  . .. Its GOT to be a woman...or a French man.. . .
Alright, don't get me wrong, I mean, I can belch with the best of them....say the ABC's even...I even laugh sometimes at the farting dogs...but I would like ONE modern cartoon or kids show that doesn't rely on body functions and bathrooms to keep a kid's attention.  Seriously.
I must admit one of my favorite modern cartoons was Avatar: The Last Airbender...that cartoon was awesome...but then...I'm pretty sure it was Japanese. Hmmm. I'll have look that one up too...

1 comment: