Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Strange phenomenons...

Negative 8. Thats the temperature outside. Its amazing really.  Its such a strange phenomenon how the sun is out and shining...few clouds in the sky, and it does NOT get warmer throughout the day. It completely depends on the weather front that has pushed in.  Having spent most of my life in California, this really boggles my mind. It has taken me 3 years to really figure out what to expect with the weather here.  I think to myself that if I drop the kids off at school and its -8 outside...then by the time I pick them up it will be at least Zero degrees...or like 1 degree because the sun has been out warming things up. This is simply not true. Sometimes it actually gets COLDER the longer the sun is out. It blows my mind. I am wondering if anyone can explain this to me because it makes no rational sense other than the fact that the weather girl says there's 'arctic air blowing over'. I understand that 'arctic' means 'cold', and Santa Claus and the Elves have amazing stamina to abode there...but I just don't understand why the sun doesn't warm things up...even just a little. I need a smart friend to help me with this one.
As I type, my 3 year old thinks she is secretly sneaking a hard boiled egg to eat. I think the only way to get my kids to eat some things is to tell them they can't have it. Its another amazing phenomenon...you would think that hungry children would simply eat what you give them...isn't that what good mothers everywhere have preached for years? "If they're hungry enough, they'll eat it!'' This is mostly true...and true with many children...but I have one child, who, under NO circumstances will actually eat a sandwich of any kind.  I have tried 'halving' them...making shapes out of them...giving her half as much...making different varieties..still the sandwich comes home in the tin, princess lunch box, untouched or nibbled on at best. She comes home whiny and cranky and "STARVING!!!"...Maybe if I tell her that she is no longer allowed to HAVE sandwiches, she will then start wishing she had one in her lunch...

1 comment: